The Future of DDoS Protection: Turning the Threat into a Revenue Generating Opportunity
In terms of the importance of providing DDoS protection in relation to other types of security services for customers, 93 percent of ISPs see it as a high priority; with 37 percent ranking DDoS protection as more important and 56 percent saying it was just as important as other cyber security services. This is up 10 points from the 83 percent total in 2016.
Need for DDoS Protection-as-a-Service
A full 82 percent see a clear business opportunity in providing a DDoS Protection as-a-Service (DDPaaS) to their customers. In ranking what providers are looking for in an ideal DDoS solution, unsurprisingly, the results display a wide range of requirements.
High Priority DDoS Solution Features
- The ability maintain bandwidth/throughput in the face of a DDoS attack was ranked most important at 42 percent, similarly to last year.
- Unsurprisingly, the ability to handle high-volume, indiscriminate attacks ranked second highest in importance to 29 percent of respondents.
- The ability to mitigate attacks in seconds vs minutes or more, and ability to handle attacks that are aimed at disrupting specific applications, 25 percent each.
- The ability to reduce overall CAPEX/OPEX was key for about a fifth of service providers, 22 percent.
- The capability to integrate DDoS attack mitigation with third-party DDoS detection tools.
- The ability to provide reporting and visibility into attack types and mitigation that was executed.
- A solution with low false blocking rates.
With the end-user demand for premium DDoS-as-a-service options, those service providers that position themselves with automated, sophisticated DDoS protection will find themselves winning in both customer loyalty and competitive advantage.
If you'd like to learn more, please contact us.